Wednesday, December 14, 2011

The Wonders of Social Networking

Social networking , facebook in particular (because who fucking understands twitter anyway?) is fantastic.  And it’s the devil.  The devil aspect is for another rant which includes the blatant stupidity of others and I can’t even begin to address that tonight.  Instead I will address facebook’s awesome power to reconnect long lost pals. Recently, facebook has reconnected me with some childhood friends, some of whom I haven’t seen since I was in middle school.  It is fantastic to see who they are today.  However, this afternoon the facebook gods saw fit to reconnect me with some fantastic ladies who I met during my first year at BSU, while living in the dorms(back before BSU was cool and when nobody gave a shit about their football team.)  Now, I am pretty sure we should all be glad that I didn’t die of alcohol poisoning that year but more importantly, these chicks were awesome!  I spent the evening traveling down memory lane and digging around for pictures in a box labeled “college” which included various photos of debauchery of which only a handful were appropriate to post on the Interwebz. Given that I really don’t know the “grown up” version of these awesome chicks, I figured I better not offend their husbands or grandmas, who may or may not approve of pictures laden with various cigarettes and booze or other college type substances (which, I feel compelled to point out, I haven’t used since 1999.) 

It’s always amazing to me how things can seem like so long ago, and at the same time, just like yesterday. It’s kind of like your children.  When mine are beating the crap out of each other and yelling a horrible version of Brak’s “Don’t touch me!”
 I feel like 9 years has been forever and my God are you sure it hasn't really been 12 years?  However, when they are sleeping peacefully and not moving or talking I think….wow, it seems like they were just born yesterday. That's how I feel about my early college days.  It seems like it was ages ago....and yet just like yesterday all at once.   Along those lines, some things I can remember as clear as a bell (like walking from the Central Park Apartments to the BSU Dorms in the middle of winter in the bitter cold because our ride left us) and some things I can barely piece together through foggy memories (please refer back to booze, cigarettes and various other substances).  It’s also amazing to me that no matter how old I get, in my own mind I am still 20.  This is a blessing and a curse, because as my dear friend would say….it is not appropriate for the 34 year old me to wear cropped hello kitty tee shirts anymore.  On the other hand, I heard this quote today: "All you need is 20 seconds of insane courage, and I promise you, something great will come of it."  Now, I KNOW my 20 year old self is more likely to muster up insane courage than my 34 year old self is, so this could be a benefit. Fundamentally, I feel like it’s important that something great come of this life.  Great is all relative though, in retrospect. Great could be curing cancer or facilitating world peace and such as.  Or, it could simply be not dying of alcohol poisoning in 1996.  I guess if that’s the case, I am an EPIC WIN.


No comments:

Post a Comment